Thursday, June 2, 2011

Swimsuit Shopping

Every year it's the same thing. It gets hot, and I need a new swimsuit. Ok, so I don't NEED a new swimsuit, but it just doesn't feel right wearing the same one as last year. I feel that like my shoes and purses, you can never have to many swimsuits. Different swimsuits are necessary for different occasions. For just lounging around the pool with my family or by myself, I opt for my old bandeau swimsuit so I don't have to worry about getting tan lines.
If I'll be around my family I just pick one, any one. It doesn't matter because my family doesn't care. Then I have the sexy one piece with the side cut outs for when my girlfriends and I go down to the lake and go out to the bars on the lake.
So yesterday I decided it was time for a new swimsuit. Instead of paying upward of $70 for a swimsuit from VS, I decided to find a cheaper alternative, but just as cute.
I made my way up to our local outdoor mall in hopes of finding something cute. Now, I consider myself lucky in the fact that I have remained the same size since high school. I am a whopping 5 ft tall and about 98 lbs. But even I have my body issues. Therefore, every year I dread shopping for a suit because I'm deathly afraid I won't be able to fit into the same size. I'm sure most women can relate.
I decide to go to PacSun because I see that their suits are buy one piece, get the second 1/2 off. Sounds like a good deal to me.
I rummage through the lines of swimsuits hanging on the wall and decide on a cute red with white polka dots with a ruffle top. I grab an extra small top and a small bottom. I grab the same for a pink a white plaid and head to the dressing room. I slide the top on first only to realize the tiny triangular top is barely covering my lady humps. Ok, so I'll grab a small top instead. I slide the bottoms on. Ugh. They're too tight. My little cheeks are being squeezed out of the sides of the swimsuit bottom. This has never been an issue for me. Top or bottom. I politely ask the sales associate to grab me a medium in the bottom and a small in the top.
She returns and I try the bigger sizes on, unhappy about the whole one size up. The bottoms are too big. They're doing that bunchy thing and instead of fitting nice and snug around my butt, they're loosely hanging there, like the sails of a sail boat, flapping in the wind. The top, a small, is just that, small. I've never had what you would call "big boobs." They were always proportionate to my body and a small always worked. This was one size I would not complain about.
Irritated that the bottoms were either too small or too big and there was no in between, I left in a huff. I'm not one to usually complain about my body much, but this made me feel terrible. I walked around the rest of the mall irritated. I decided to try Target, maybe they're sizes were different. I looked around and saw nothing I even wanted to try on. Thats it, I give up.
So today I decided that I would go to a different mall and go to VS and see what they had in the stores. You wanna know what they had in the stores? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. Agh, how frustrating. In my last attempt to find something I decided to try the PacSun at this mall.
To my surprise they had different suits, cuter ones, than the ones at the other mall. I saw the red and white polka dot suit and cringed. I flipped through the other suits and found one I liked. The top was a navy blue with white anchors. I love anchors. If you know me you know I almost always have on my anchor necklace. The top was a small and I stood there and pondered for a minute. I grabbed the bottoms, a white and navy blue striped and they were a small. I figured I'd give it another go. It was after all a new day.
We've got a winner! The top was perfect. Just enough coverage and just enough skin to leave to the imagination. The bottoms were low rise, a fit I prefer and they were the perfect amount of snugness. I grabbed the two pieces and got outta there before I had time to stand in front of the mirror and really look at all the things that could be wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment